All week, I’ve been singing “but not a real fur stool, that’s cruel… ” – but in this case, folks – I have to break it to you – it IS a REAL fur stool that I’ve made.
I also have to be honest with you that as I was making this, I kept thinking “this is a little weird”. But I asked my Bloggy friends and they all said “Go for it!” (and there may have been jokes about furry deer nut sacks.) Then I realized one of my favourite bloggers The Nester did an entire CHAIR this way – so now I say “Bully to weird!” I always promised to be honest about projects – so here it goes.
I found this jacket in the fabric section at our local thrift store for $8 a while back. It was in terrible shape, ripped all up the back seams and along the sleeves. But for that price, I knew I could work with it. $8 for real fur is half the price of faux fur at the fabric store!
Let’s rewind again. Some of you may remember I picked up four of these cable spools. They sat in the garden room (and now shed) for months while I tried to decide what to do with them. As soon as I bought the vintage fur coat – I knew!
I snagged some 3″ foam from Walmart, and some MCM legs and angled hardware at Home Depot and got to work. Then, with a Sharpie, I marked the size of the disc on my foam and cut it out with a serrated knife.
I realized the spool itself was much too high to make a comfortable ottoman, so I separated the discs from each end. Then, using a spare piece of 2×2 wood, I cut four pieces at approximately 4.5″ long.
So, here came the RIDICULOUS part. Because I was working with damaged goods, I used a hot glue gun to fix some of the broken seams. I tried Gorilla Glue, but oddly enough, the hot glue worked much better.
Even after the repairs, I still couldn’t find a piece of the coat big enough to actually fit all the way around the ottoman structure, so I had to get creative with pleats as I pulled it and stapled it to the underside. Guys – it wasn’t pretty. One other thing I had to contend with were the pockets on the coat – which I didn’t take off because as I started to rip them apart, I realized it left a weird gap in the fur. So they stayed – which means my end product will have little gathers where the pockets are. All this to say, this piece will never be symmetrical or perfect – but I figure fur is an imperfect medium to start with right?
Once I had it stapled, I screwed in my hardware plates and glued a simple scrap of cotton to the bottom to cover the loose edges of the fur (I made sure to make little slits where the legs would screw in, so the fabric wouldn’t gather too much.) Then I let it sit for a day. The fur is SUPER stretchy/saggy – whatever you want to call it. So after a day, I went back in with my staple gun and tightened up all the spots that needed it.
Before you go – guess what is actually SCHEDULED for next week? Our kitchen reveal. That’s right folks. It’s done like dinner and we’re ready to show it off 🙂 Hope you’ll come back then… even if I accidentally grossed you out by talking about furry deer nut sacks.
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to see our full disclosure policy.
Here are some other up cycling projects you might like!
Hi! I’m Erin and I wrote this post!
I’m a former broadcast journalist turned DIY blogger; I love all things paint, and power tools. My husband and I work on DIY Passion to share our commitment to inspire others to see beauty in the every day. I love dogs, cats, Han Solo and pie – probably in that order. If you’d like to chat about working together, please get in touch and sign up for our email updates.
Follow Me Here
Design a BEDROOM You LOVE! Download Your FREE Copy Now!
INSTANT ACCESS to my 12-page guide full of tips, tricks and inspiration for designing a bedroom you will love!