Inside: A quick tutorial to make the cutest spring wreath with wood shims and paper flowers.
This is such a fun project. I’ve been asked so many times about how to make simple wreaths for each season. So I took to my shop to find some cast off supplies and ended up coming up with this super cute wood shim wreath! I added paper flowers to give it a spring vibe, but you could easily dress this up for the holidays, winter or fall if you wanted.
Supplies for a Wood Shim Wreath
*affiliate links used
- A bunch of plain ol’ wood shims
- A 12″ flat floral craft ring
- A glue gun
- Wood Stain – I like to use these stain wipes from Minwax
- Silhouette Cameo
- Card stock and/or scrapbook paper
Step by step for a wood shim wreath
I cut my shims down to somewhere between 5.5″ and 6″ – you don’t have to be super precise, but it is important they are all more or less the same length. Then just lay them out on your wreath form with the thin end in and glue them down with hot glue.
Once I had it all glued together, I used one stain wipe and gave the shims a little more colour and depth. While it was drying, I turned to the flowers.
I got this design from the Silhouette Studio and just set it up to make a regular cut. These flowers are basically just circles, leaves and one longer ‘ribbon’ type shape.
Then layer the ‘petals’ on top of each other until you have a flower shape. Curl the long ribbon around a pencil and glue the ends together to form the middle part of the flower and then just add your two leaves.
If you’re interested in making more complex paper flowers, have a look at my Giant Paper Flower Wall. I created a few different kinds of flowers and there’s a template you can download too.
Alright! This is a hop! So hop on over to these other fabulous Silhouette projects 🙂
- Hobnail House – Spring Cutout Banner
- Pig and Rabbit – Princess Party Favor Bags
- Pocketful of Posies – DIY Paper Olive Plants
- C’mon Get Crafty – Sleeping Baby Delivery Sign
- Tried and True – Easter Bunny Carrot Plate
- Holly Craft – DIY Custom Phone Case
- My Life from Home – Easter Candy Bucket
- Knock It Off Kim – Bunny Paper Cut Vase
- Dwell Beautiful – Harry Potter Accio Coffee T-shirt
- Morena’s Corner – Custom Flocked Birthday Card
- Simply Darrling – Upcycled Nautical Anchor Serving Tray
- Green With Decor – Making Food Party Labels Using Silhouette Machine
- Creatively Southern – How to Make Chalkboard Sign with Silhouette Vinyl
- Craving Some Creativity – Print and Cut Silhouette Closet Organization Tags
- Vintage Romance Style – How to Create Your Childs Silhouette
Here are some other posts you might like
This post contains affiliate links. See our full disclosure policy here.