Inside: An easy recipe for ooey-gooey coconut blondie bars made with shredded coconut and chocolate chips; otherwise known as blonde brownies, these sweet bars are a delight with hot tea or a glass of milk.
Our baking adventures are becoming a weekend tradition and I have to say, I LOVE THIS. It has taken me a long time to come to grips with the fact that I am creative beyond paint and traditional DIYs and that I have always loved to bake. Sharing these simple home recipes here is nothing short of joyful to me, and I hope you enjoy them too!
I was in a total funk this weekend. I don’t know if its Blue Monday on the way or the fact that I feel so behind with some of my business plans after being ill for a good couple weeks, but man, I was in a first class funk. I just couldn’t get into a groove. So – I decided to best way out of my funk was to bake something sweet and simple using pantry staples we had on hand. Did I mention it was -18C outside? Ya. So cold. Good day to be indoors smelling sweet sugar, don’t you think?
I settled on making blondie bars. I’ve NEVER made blondies before – can you believe that?! Basically a blondie bar is like a blonde brownie – or a brownie that is made with brown sugar instead of cocoa… kind of. Blondies, much like brownies, also traditionally have nuts in them.
This time, to keep things simple and kid-friendly, I opted to swap the traditional nuts and use sweet coconut instead. This changed the recipe slightly and I did have to adjust the cook time as a result.
We used lots of chocolate chips because that’s what I had on hand, but if you want to take your blondie bars up a notch, I highly recommend using white chocolate chips too. Just do a 50/50 split.
One slight hiccup was that I misplaced my actual 13×9″ baking pan. I think it might have been tossed out accidentally! So I improvised and used a glass dish… I think this added to my cook time, so I’d watch yours closer if you’re using a metal pan as it will heat more evenly and it will likely cook slightly faster.
These turned out better than I imagined and we will definitely be making them again!
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1.5 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- Heat oven to 375F and position rack to the middle.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together cooled butter with brown sugar until well incorporated. Beat in eggs and vanilla until just mixed.
- Add in flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Pour in chocolate chips and coconut and fold until combined.
- Scrape mix into a 13x9" pan lined with greased foil. Put in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minute or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.