Inside: An easy recipe for ooey-gooey coconut blondie bars made with shredded coconut and chocolate chips; otherwise known as blonde brownies, these sweet bars are a delight with hot tea or a glass of milk.
Our baking adventures are becoming a weekend tradition and I have to say, I LOVE THIS. It has taken me a long time to come to grips with the fact that I am creative beyond paint and traditional DIYs and that I have always loved to bake. Sharing these simple home recipes here is nothing short of joyful to me, and I hope you enjoy them too!
I was in a total funk this weekend. I don’t know if its Blue Monday on the way or the fact that I feel so behind with some of my business plans after being ill for a good couple weeks, but man, I was in a first class funk.I just couldn’t get into a groove. So – I decided to best way out of my funk was to bake something sweet and simple using pantry staples we had on hand. Did I mention it was -18C outside? Ya. So cold. Good day to be indoors smelling sweet sugar, don’t you think?
I settled on making blondie bars. I’ve NEVER made blondies before – can you believe that?! Basically a blondie bar is like a blonde brownie – or a brownie that is made with brown sugar instead of cocoa… kind of. Blondies, much like brownies, also traditionally have nuts in them.PS. if you can’t tell, I’m obsessed with baking hacks that are fun and don’t require me to do pretty things LOL I recently started using Pillsbury dough to whip up fast baking snacks too… amazing!
This time, to keep things simple and kid-friendly, I opted to swap the traditional nuts and use sweet coconut instead. This changed the recipe slightly and I did have to adjust the cook time as a result.
We used lots of chocolate chips because that’s what I had on hand, but if you want to take your blondie bars up a notch, I highly recommend using white chocolate chips too. Just do a 50/50 split.
One slight hiccup was that I misplaced my actual 13×9″ baking pan. I think it might have been tossed out accidentally! So I improvised and used a glass dish… I think this added to my cook time, so I’d watch yours closer if you’re using a metal pan as it will heat more evenly and it will likely cook slightly faster.
These turned out better than I imagined and we will definitely be making them again!
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1.5 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- Heat oven to 375F and position rack to the middle.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together cooled butter with brown sugar until well incorporated. Beat in eggs and vanilla until just mixed.
- Add in flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Pour in chocolate chips and coconut and fold until combined.
- Scrape mix into a 13x9" pan lined with greased foil. Put in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minute or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Allow the blondies to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to fully cool for another hour and a half to two hours.