Inside: A healthier take on the classic Cookie Salad, this cookies ‘n cream berry parfait is made with yogurt and seasonal fruit and comes together in about ten minutes.
My kid is two things when it comes to snacks – a berry monster and a cookie monster 🙂 I have watched her polish off a whole pint of blueberries in one sitting and then ask for more. And of course, because she is also my child, she does the same with her animal cracker cookies.
I started to look for ways to combine the two things into a healthy snack dessert that I could pull together quickly and that wouldn’t be too sugary or over the top. I ended up with my take on a classic Cookie Salad. Traditionally, cookie salad is made with creamy elements and citrus fruit. But that’s not to my taste… I love orange cream, but the idea of putting canned mandarins into whipped cream somehow doesn’t sit right with me.
So I swapped a few elements and gave it a twist and it turned into an instant hit. I’m calling it a Cookies ‘n’ Cream Berry Parfait. I’m pretty sure you could add in other fruits if you like or change out the type of cookie. I think it would be really fun with Oreos or fudge cookies. You could add some nuts if and drizzle chocolate sauce if you wanted to turn it into more of a sundae.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2.5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 entire package vanilla chocolate drizzle cookies
- 2 cups mixed berries (your choice)
- Coarse chop the cookies. Reserve 1/2 cup in a separate bowl.
- Use an electric mixer or hand blender to whip cream until it forms soft peaks (about 90 seconds).
- Add in sugar, vanilla and almond extract and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. (About another minute or so)
- In three batches, gently fold the yogurt into the cream.
- Fold in majority of cookie bits (not the reserved bit), and 1 3/4 cups of the berries.
- Pour entire mixture into a large glass bowl or trifle dish. Top with remaining cookie crumble and berries.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 35mg Sodium: 31mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 10g Protein: 4g
Here are some other posts you’ll love