Inside: Every busy Mom’s dream smoothie recipe! This make ahead green monster smoothie is great for skin health, energy and fibre intake. Finished in minutes!
Mornings are hectic and brain power is best used on things like remembering to put out the garbage, making sure the dog gets fed and the kids get to school in clean and proper clothing, you know? So when it comes to a busy mom’s hack for breakfast, my go to is a smoothie – every single time.
This Green Monster smoothie is packed with nutrients and protein and it tastes amazing. It’s healthy and simple to pull together too! In fact, I chop all my ingredients up on Sunday and then have them blender ready for each day of the week for fast morning blends.
If you know me, you know that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, green juice and green smoothies. I love the way it makes me feel. I love that it’s a full-on, knock-out, nutritional punch all in one go and I love being able to customize my juice or smoothie depending on what I feel I need. As an example, I switched to beet juice right after I took my current job to try to boost my skin. I’ll double up the spinach or kale if I’m feeling sluggish or a cold coming on.
Not only will you love this green smoothie, I’m willing to bet your kids will love it too!
- 1 box of baby spinach (washed and dried)
- 3 mangoes (or if you can find the canned stuff, 2 or 3 cans of mango)
- 1 can of pineapple chunks in juice
- 2-3 kiwi fruit
- 3 green apples
- 3 bananas
- 1 tub of Greek yogurt
- Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder (optional)
- Ice cubes
- 5 Medium sized Ziploc bags or you could use Tupperware
- Roughly chop the mango and slice the kiwis, bananas and apples. Divide that fruit into five piles and then distribute each into one of your baggies or containers.
- Open your can of pineapple and evenly distribute the fruit among the baggies, then pour some of the remaining juice into each baggie too. This is where I seal up my baggies and put them in the fridge.
- When I’m ready to make my smoothie, I empty a baggie into the blender, top it with a handful of spinach, 4 good dollops of yogurt, 6-7 ice cubes and a Tablespoon of Pumpkin protein. Blend until all the chunky bits are gone.
The best part is, it’s one mess, once a week and you’ll have breakfast for Monday to Friday ready to go. Add a piece of whole grain toast with nut butter or a scrambled egg and you’ve hit all the right food groups to start your day on the right foot!
If you are SUPER pressed for time, you could always add a handful of spinach to each baggie, the yogurt and even the protein powder and then all you’d have to do is empty the contents and add the ice cubes before blending.
Each baggie should make enough for two smoothies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 40mg Carbohydrates: 56g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 41g Protein: 9g
But what about the mess IN THE BLENDER every morning?
Well, once you’ve poured your smoothie goodness out. Quickly rinse the blender, add a drop of dish soap, fill it half way with luke warm water and put it back on the blender! Turn it back on and let the soapy water clean your blender.
Truthfully, I do this and then, if I’m really in a hurry, I leave it in the sink until I get home. I find this method gets most of the yumpies off it and it’s a breeze to clean later on.