Inside: A simple recipe for a classic egg white whiskey sour cocktail, topped with blueberries; perfect for summer BBQs.
Nothing says summer like cocktails on the deck and one of our favourite cocktails is a classic egg white whiskey sour. This is a no fuss drink that is tasty and goes great with appetizers or after supper with dessert.
We top ours with blueberries (they grow really well here, so we get great local berries!).
You can make this delicious drink with the most basic ingredients – most of which you probably already have in your kitchen! What you won’t need are any of those gross, syrupy premixes.
A few notes about our Whiskey Sour Recipe
Why we make it like this:
- Many whiskey sour mixes use equal amounts lemon juice and lime juice. While this still makes a delicious drink, it’s just not enough for our liking. We like ’em sour! I’ll only use lime juice if I’ve some kicking around.
- If you don’t have anything to aid with the lemon juicing, just squeeze into a measuring cup. And don’t worry about the picking out the seeds.. they get strained out by the shaker
- If you’re not comfortable using egg white, it’s not a make or break ingredient. However, the acids in the lemon juice will “cook” the egg, so it’s not raw. Why add it all? It cuts down the sharpness of the drink, without sacrificing the sour factor!
Easy homemade classic whiskey sour recipe using egg whites and topped with blueberries.
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
- 2/3 cup simple syrup (see below)
- 3/4 cup good whiskey
- egg white
- blueberries to garnish
- Drop a couple of ice cubes in your shaker
- Add the liquid ingredients.
- Add the egg white.
- Shake and strain in a tumbler.
- Pour and ice cubes and blueberries for garnish.
What is Simple Syrup?
In a small pot, add a cup of sugar to a cup of water and bring to a boil. The sugar should dissolve within a minute. Once it’s cooled, pour into a mason jar and keep cool in the fridge for this, and other cocktails, as needed. Will keep well for a month.
Best enjoyed in the evening of hot summer’s day.. just as things begin to cool down…
Now – go relax! Have a cocktail…and enjoy 🙂
Here are other posts you’ll love