Inside: Delicious, moist spicy cupcakes made with fresh zucchini and cinnamon, topped with a simple buttery and brown caramel frosting.
What do you do when your Mother-in-Law grows an enormous zucchini and drops it off for you? Well, you make zucchini cupcakes of course! In all honesty, I was going to make a plain zucchini loaf and then dug deep and remembered that my goal in life is to always have something sweet to look forward to.
Zucchinis aren’t usually associated with cupcakes, but you guys!! These ones?? Moist, sweet, cakey (not muffin-y) and the caramel frosting on top makes them an amazing post-dinner dessert or a tea time snack.
We had so much zucchini that we also made a zucchini lasagne and I think I’ll still have enough for a batch of cheese zucchini fritters too.
What I love about these cupcakes is they come together really quickly and you can have them mixed, baked, frosted and ready to eat in about an hour. The frosting itself needs to be made over a stovetop, but it cools quickly and becomes spreadable within about 10 minutes.
Tell me I’m not alone in being impatient waiting for things to cool before icing them! Ha!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Moist, spicy cupcakes made with fresh zucchini and topped with a soft caramel frosting.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice (substitute mango for a fruitier flavor)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cloves or all spice
- 1.5 cups shredded zucchini (un-drained)
- 1 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line muffin tins with paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, oil, juice, almond extract and set aside.
- In smaller bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cloves.
- Slowly fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Fold in the zucchini and fill the muffin tins to 2/3rds full.
- Bake on middle rack for approximately 20 minutes, turning half way. Cool on a wire rack.
For the Frosting
- Put brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Stir while boiling for about 1.5-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Allow it to cool to lukewarm and then whisk in icing sugar until consistency drips off a wooden spoon.
- Use a small spatula to cover cupcakes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 45mg Sodium: 276mg Carbohydrates: 53g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 39g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g