Inside: Clean your dirty patio cushions with this simple DIY cleaning hack! It freshens cushions that you can’t toss in the washing machine and it helps keep mold and bugs out.
I’m all about the simple cleaning hacks and nothing feels better than pulling out the patio furniture after a long winter stuck inside. But inevitably, the cushions are in need of a bit of TLC. Sometimes they get damp over the winter in storage, or sometimes we just don’t properly clean them before storing them at the end of the season.
This is an in-depth guide on how to clean patio cushions with a very easy DIY hack.
We also make sure we pressure wash the deck and the siding on our house and I always spruce up the patio with some additional flowers and inexpensive decor. This year, we are committed to planting even more grass in the yard and it’s going to be so lush and amazing!
Either way, if you want to clean your patio cushions properly, here’s how you do it.
- Oxygen Bleach Plus 32 HE Loads – Concentrated Stain Remover Eco-Friendly and Plant-Based
Mixing the Cleaning Solution
This solution uses the power of oxygen bleach along with stain boosting laundry detergent. I mix those together with dish soap in some warm water and then used elbow grease to just scrub down the cushions.
If you want to try using a hose, you could, but that could damage the foam in the cushions and it will take a lot longer to dry. It’s the best way to clean outdoor patio cushions.
If you want to check out some other uses for oxygen bleach, have a look at how I use it to deep clean my stainless steel sink! There are so many other incredible ways to use oxygen bleach to clean your whole house. Have a look here.
You might also want to see our DIY Chevron privacy wall tutorial. We had to take it down after a hurricane – but we are plotting to add it back into space at some point soon.
How to clean patio cushions with mildew
Once your patio space is ready, you get the space to spend your whole summer enjoying the outdoors. But apart from enjoying, the patio space brigs the dilemma that how to clean dirty outdoor cushions. The cushions kept outdoors get a musty smell and unremovable stains.
The worst thing to experience is mildew that arrives without invitation on the outdoor furniture. Here we will show you how to clean porch cushions.
Mildew is the living organism that grows inside the cushions and furniture cloth where it is damp and dark. It grows mostly in the rainy season. Avoiding removing the mildew from cushions can weaken the fabric and cause damage. Mildew may also cause big health issues to people if they inhale it in large quantities.
Getting rid of mildew is the best thing to avoid all of it. Let us see how to clean outdoor cushions with bleach step by step.
Products to Use:
- White Vinegar
- Spray Bottle
- Laundry Detergent
- Soft-bristled brush
Whether your cushion fabric is acrylic or polyester, use the cleaning solution on the hidden parts of the cushion before applying it elsewhere. It will help in ensuring that the cleaning solution does not damage the fabric.
Use a brush with soft bristles to scrub the fabric of the cushion. It will remove dirt and debris and will let you know the parts affected by mildew. Make sure that you wear the mask to avoid inhaling mildew.
Mix the solution for acrylic and polyester cushions.
- For polyester, mix half a cup of vinegar in a bucket full of hot water. Dip the cleaning sponge into this mixture and wipe it on the cushion’s affected areas.
- For acrylic cushions, use one cup of bleach to mix with two cups of laundry detergent and bucket water. Fill the mixture in a spray bottle and spray the solution on the areas affected with mildew.
Use the brush on the polyester cushion to scrub more deeply. For acrylic cushions, let the vinegar sit and dry the cushion under sunlight.
Let the polyester cushions sit under the sun for three to four hours and then rinse off the vinegar with fresh water. For acrylic cushions, use a clean sponge damped in freshwater to rinse off the bleach.
Cleaning outdoor patio cushions is that easy!
Cleaning outdoor cushions with bleach – Step by Step
The spring season has let us use outdoor patios. It is also a welcoming alarm for mildew. The best way to clean patio cushions is by using bleach. Let us look at the step-by-step process to clean mildew from cushions.
Before starting the cleaning process, make sure that you run a bleachability test on the cushions. Use two teaspoons of bleach and mix it with one-fourth cup of water. Pour one drop of this solution on a hidden part of your cushion. Wait for a minute and let it dry.
You can also use a blow dryer for the job. If you do not see any color change, then you can proceed with the cleaning. Avoid the process if there is a color change, it means that the bleach isn’t suitable for the fabric.
Here is how to clean dirty patio cushions in different ways:
- If your cushion cover is removable, remove it from the cushion and close the zip. Soak the cover in the bleach, water solution if the mildew is severe. Use a one-fourth cup of bleach to mix with a gallon of water. Submerge the cover completely into the water for five minutes. Then wash the cover with hot water using detergent mixed with 3/4th cup of bleach. After washing, make sure that you do not put the cover into your dryer. If the process seems effective to you, then repeat with other covers. When you are done with washing, put the cover back on the cushion before letting it dry. Otherwise, the cushion may not fit anymore in the cover. The process is similar if you are wondering how to clean lawn chair cushions.
- Do you know how to clean deck cushions if the cover is non-removable? Well, if it repels water, you can wipe it with the previous bleach solution. Reapply it to keep it wet for five minutes. After that, dry it using a garden hose. Let it air dry.
- How to bleach outdoor cushions if they easily absorb water? Use a launder mat with extra-large washers. Wash the cushion in hot water and 3/4th cup of bleach. Repeat the treatment if the mildew is severe. Remember that you cannot place cushions in the dryer.
Freshen your outdoor patio cushions with this simple homemade cleaning hack!
- bucket of warm water
- dish soap (2-3 squeezes)
- 1/2 lid of stain fighting laundry soap
- 1/2 scoop of oxygen bleach crystals
- Pour all the cleaning solutions into your bucket of water and let the crystals dissolve.
- Using a rag, scrub the solution into the patio cushions in circular motions.
- Hang the cushions to dry (if possible) or simple stand them up to allow any water to bead down and pool off.
- They should be good to go in about 24 hours.
Short FAQ about clean pation cushions
How to clean patio pillows?
The easiest way to clean patio pillows, you can use bleach. In case you are looking for a natural solution, mix vinegar with warm water. Vacuum the cushion, then spray the solution on the cushions and let sit for 15 minutes. Scrub the stained areas with a soft brush.
How to clean outdoor furniture cushions?
In order to clean your outdoor furniture cushions, mix heavy-duty detergent and hot water. Scrub the surface with a soft brush from the top to the bottom. Only do a small section one by one. After this, rinse away the soil but prevent that the detergent solution dries on the fabric.
How to deep clean outdoor cushions?
You should start with removing the covers and put them into the washing machine. Then, go and heavy-duty detergent and hot water. Scrub the surface with a soft brush from the top to the bottom. Only do a small section one by one. After this, rinse away the soil but prevent that the detergent solution dries on the fabric.